• In accordance with NSF guidelines, all applicants must be United States citizens or a permanent resident of the United States.
• Applicants should have a strong interest in pursuing a research career in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) discipline.
• Must have successfully completed at least one academic year of an undergraduate
program and be classified as an undergraduate student prior to and during program
• Participants must be available full-time for the duration of the program from start to finish. Any vacations, summer coursework, or other summer employment needs to take place outside the program time frame.
• Students majoring in microbiology, engineering, environmental sciences, ecology, biochemistry, biology, computer science, mathematics, or a related STEM discipline. No minimum GPA requirement.
• All students will live on the MSU campus, grouped together as a research cohort, in housing provided by the EB-REU program.
Preference will be given to:
- Students from disadvantaged backgrounds and/or from non-research-intensive universities, tribal colleges, and community colleges.
- Students who are first-generation college attenders, non-traditional, veterans, and disabled students.
- Students from groups who are historically underrepresented STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) including students who are Indigenous, Hispanic/Latinx, Black, Pacific Islander, and/or LGBTQIA+ are strongly encouraged to apply.
Instructions to Apply:
You will be submitting your application through a DocuSign powerform, which is linked
The form will take you to the Extreme Biofilm Research Experience for Undergraduates application where you will have to complete the Undergraduate Research Experience application form and attach the following:
- Resume (maximum of 2 pages)
- Two-page personal statement, outlining a) how your background and life experiences will contribute to our program goal of enhancing the diversity of future STEM professionals, b) your interest in doing research, and c) how this REU would advance your career goals.
- Unofficial transcript
- Financial aid report copy (if applicable)
You will be also need to submit:
- One letter of recommendation from an academic reference (from someone who knows your STEM background and can discuss how the EB-REU program will help you reach your goals).
Please arrange to have your recommendation letter sent directly to the EB-REU email
address: firstname.lastname@example.org and use the following format for the filename: Last Name.First Name of Applicant_Last
Name.First Name of Recommender (e.g. Smith.Pat_Williams.Aaron).